When deciding or searching for an online casino platform to sign up with, checking their license and regulations may not be that high up on your priority list. However, you mustn’t be deceived by empty promises and flashing lights when searching for an online casino.
Many of the best online casinos are usually licensed in the UK and other familiar jurisdictions, such as Alderney or the Isle of Man. This article is what you need to ensure you find the safest and best casino in the market, as it will take you into the concealed world of online casino licensing and regulations.
In the United Kingdom, all gambling sites are licensed and regulated by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission. For gambling sites to operate, they must first apply for a license. The purpose of the license, according to the Gambling Act 2005, is to do all the following:
- Ensure that all games are transparent and fair
- Ensure that children and vulnerable people are prevented from exploitation
- Ensure that there is prevention in the connection between gambling and criminal activities.
For an operator to receive a license, the gambling entitlement must ensure that it has met all of the suitability criteria outlined by the UK Gambling Commission. These suitability criteria include the following:
- The proof of a clear criminal record.
- Experience and qualifications prove that the operator can run a gambling enterprise, whether a company or an individual.
- Evidence that the company or the individual is honest and trustworthy.
- The proof that the company or the individual has sufficient finances for the successful running of the gambling business so that it doesn’t collapse after a series of big winning punting.
- The confirmation of the identity of the company or the individual that is applying for the license. This is to ensure accountability.
All gaming activities in New Zealand are controlled by the Gambling Act 2003. Although manufacturers and suppliers of gaming and non-gaming equipment are not necessarily required to be licensed by the Act, it is required that operators of gaming establishments are licensed.
Every area across the world has its legal jurisdiction guiding it when it comes to remote gambling. Several popular casinos have licenses from multiple licensing bodies to extend their reach.
Below is a list of the top gambling license bodies online:
The United Kingdom Gambling Commission has existed since 2007, protecting all players in the United Kingdom and around the world. They are famously known for having some of the tightest and highest security standards, and they require that all online casino platforms that are licensed under them follow their stringent rules. Numerous top casino websites bear the stamp of approval of the UKGC because the gambling commission must license any sites with UK players in attendance.
The Malta Gaming Authority is a popular gambling license distributor for major casino companies worldwide.
Located in the Mediterranean, Malta is home to a huge betting world. This is because of its low tax rates, which all gambling sites love and appreciate when they come for licensing. The Malta Gaming Authority license allows online casino operators to onboard players from anywhere across the globe.
Curacao Egaming is also another big name when it comes to remote gambling licensing. Their license for online casino sites is enjoyed by hundreds of gambling companies who can afford the 2 percent corporate tax rate.
Those with licenses from Curacao eGaming are also allowed to onboard almost anyone from anywhere across the globe, except for some major exceptions in some areas in Northern Europe.
The Gibraltar Gaming Authority is one of the oldest licensing bodies in the gaming world. Established in the 1990s, it came at a time when online gambling seemed to be a budding market.
Despite its longstanding reputation, it has not enjoyed a lot of outstanding fame amongst other licensing bodies because its tax rate is offered at 1 percent or less. Other international licensers consider this unfair because their tax rates sit well above 10 percent.
The Swedish Gaming Authority is one strict licensing body that requires its casinos to be housed in Sweden before a license is given. It also offers high-security standards and a flat tax rate of 18 percent. If you want this license, you must be serious enough to want it and be locally based.
The Belgian Gaming Association is also another strict licensing body when it comes to giving out gaming licenses.
While it does not require its gaming companies to be housed within its borders like the Swedish Gaming Authority, any casino site that hopes to offer any of its services first must create a website exclusive to players in Belgium. That’s not all; it also has high tax rates that put off some gaming companies.
The Kahnawake Gaming Commission began operations in 1999, monitoring online gambling sites and looking out for the players’ best interests. Their tax rate offer is also low, and they are widely respected worldwide for proactively handling gamers’ complaints.
In addition to the several licensing bodies, there are also gambling regulators. These regulators are independent companies that are solely responsible for testing and examining the fairness of each online gaming platform. They are there to ensure that all casino games have that home advantage that software providers intend them to have and that they preserve the trust of their clients. The following companies fall under the category of gambling regulators and fairness and testing companies:
- eCOGRA – the eCOGRA is based in the UK and is widely considered the major standard amongst gaming regulators. eCOGRA has rigorous testing procedures and high standards. They are also ready to resolve customer disputes and protect the players’ interests when infringement occurs.
- iTechLabs – this company is located in Australia and has been monitoring gaming websites for over a decade. They do not only test the slot games, but they also have a team that evaluates any online game their clients offer. They repeatedly and regularly test to ensure that the gaming sites maintain fairness and honesty.
- Gaming Labs International –GLI is a highly respected gaming regulator. They provide testing in more than 500 jurisdictions around the world. They are highly respected because their services cater to not only the testing of mobile and online gaming but also machines at land-based casinos regularly.
- Technical Systems Testing – this company has worked hard for over three decades to protect its players. This makes them one of the oldest testing companies around the globe. In 2010, Technical Systems Testing was incorporated under Gaming Labs International. However, they still have their seals which they provide to other websites.
- Loto-Quebec – these companies guarantee the fairness and the quality of casino games. Native to Canada, their QA specialists can test multi-player and single-player games and certify that the house advantage is fair.
Each licenser and regulator are among the most responsible, respected and popular authorities in the gaming world.
There are several online casinos out there, but only a few stand out when it comes to being the safest, the most secure, and loaded with various games, bonuses, and promotions. Here are a few trusted sites where you can play your favourite online casino games:
- Betway Casino – since 2006, this has been an online casino platform offering various jackpots, slots and table games. They also offer fast customer support and a wide variety of payment options.
- HellSpin – although new to the online gaming scene, there are over 4,000 slot titles on offer, both in real cash or demo mode. There are also various promotions and bonus deals with a VIP loyalty program.
- Jackpot City – Jackpot City has been around since 1998 and has regularly rewarded its players with real money gambling via live dealer rooms, table games, and slots. There are also various banking options, an easy-to-use interface, and promotions and bonuses for its players.
Searching for which casinos to play in can be a bit stressful, but with the information provided in this article, we hope that you can have fun while choosing the casinos of choice with no hurdles whatsoever and play safe to avoid penalties from authorities. So, if you are looking for which casinos to play in, here are a few of our best choices:
- Jackpot City
- Zodiac Casino
- Jonny Jackpot Casino
- Casino Classic
When it comes to online casinos, one thing you should also look out for is their payment methods. The payment method differs from one online casino to another, but there are some common ones. Here are a few you can decide to use:
- Credit cards – MasterCard or Visa
- Cryptocurrency – Bitcoin
- Bank Wire
- E-wallet – Skrill
Look for what is available in your area and also contact the customer support of your casino site to know which withdrawal options are available to you, as they may differ from one online casino site to another.
We trust that you have been provided with valuable information on the various gambling licenses, regulatory bodies, and fairness and testing companies. So, before you select that online casino site, find out if it supports responsible, legal, and safe gambling.